How to pay my self-assessment tax – updated 7th January 2014

This is a question I am often asked at this time of year.

The due date for paying the balance of 2012/13 self-assessment tax is 31 January 2014, together with your first payment on account for 2013/14.

If your tax return was filed before early December, you should have received a statement from HMRC setting out the amount of tax due to be paid by 31 January 2014. The statement would also have given details of the various methods to settle this tax.

If your tax return wasn’t filed in time for HMRC’s statement run, you would simply have received a “Tax return and payment reminder” and this would have had a detachable blank payslip. Again the reverse of the letter would have given details of how to pay the tax that was due.

If you never received, or have mislaid, the statement or reminder then the HMRC website gives you details on how to pay your taxhere.

Like most organisations now, the preferred payment method is online using your own bank’s internet banking facility or to settle using a debit or credit card via the BillPay service.

Internet banking
If you are using your own bank’s internet banking facility please make sure that you select “self-assessment” (not VAT or corporation tax).

HMRC uses two main accounts:-

Shipley accounts office:
Sort code:               08-32-10
Account number:    12001020

Cumbernauld accounts office:
Sort code:               08-32-10
Account number:    12001039

If you are unsure which office you should use, please use the Cumbernauld account.

You will need your own UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) when making the payment. This is your ten digit reference which can be found on your tax return or any statements you have received from HMRC. If you cannot locate this, please contact me.

To pay by Debit or Credit card – BillPay
To pay by a debit or credit card, you need to use the BillPay service provided by Santander
This can be found here.
Again you will need your UTR so that the payment can be correctly allocated to your account.
Please note that if you use a credit card there is a 1.4% card fee added to the total payment.

No statement but prefer to pay by cheque?

HMRC has a facility to print personal payment slips if you wish to settle your tax by cheque and post. Please follow this link to access this facility. You will need your UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference) or NI Number if you’re a new self-assessment taxpayer.


  • Budget 11 March 2020

    Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and Coronavirus/COVID-19
    SSP is usually paid to employees from day four onwards, i.e. there are three “waiting days”. The three waiting days have been suspended and employees will be entitled to SSP …

  • Budget 2018

    Here is a brief summary of the 2018 Budget.


    The VAT Registration threshold remains at £85,000 and will be held until 2022.

    Personal Allowances

    The tax free personal allowance (PA) will increase by £650 from £11,850 to £12,500 …

  • Budget – November 2017

    The First Autumn Budget for many years was announced yesterday and there were several headline grabbing changes. As is always the case, the details and probably less popular items are found in the Treasury Budget …

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.